You are here
The Effective Inter-religious Action in Peacebuilding Program
At a time when religious differences are often a tinderbox, igniting or being used as fuel to fan the flames of violence, the role of faith-based initiatives and organizations in building peace could not be more crucial. Religious communities have incredible potential for making significant contributions toward preventing conflict, mitigating violence, and facilitating reconciliation after a conflict. While inter-religious action has the ability to shift communities and societies from fear and conflict to peaceful coexistence, there is a lack of understanding about how to effectively integrate this work into broader peacebuilding and development efforts, how to evaluate the overall impact of inter-religious action in specific contexts, and how to harness best practices and apply them in complex environments.
Mission & Approach
With generous funding from GHR Foundation, the Effective Inter-religious Action in Peacebuilding Program (EIAP) aims to foster discussion on how inter-religious efforts can be most effective in contributing to peacebuilding and development processes. In complex environments, greater synergies and linkages among all sectors – including peacebuilding, development, governance, and justice – are needed for effective progress towards sustainable peace. Inter-religious action can play an important role within and between these sectors in developing social cohesion—a key factor in building resilient, peaceful societies. The EIAP seeks to understand how to evaluate inter-religious action and what best practices exist on how it can contribute to larger peacebuilding and development efforts.
- Increase the understanding of current practices in inter-religious action and the status of evaluation efforts for such work;
- Develop, test, and refine appropriate evaluation tools and methodologies for inter-religious action;
- Developing, over time, an evidence base for effective inter-religious action; and
- Advocate for policies that support effective inter-religious action in peacebuilding and development initiatives around the world.
- Check out these recommended resources: These are resources identified and vetted by our Global Advisory Council as key resources for inter-religious peacebuilding evaluation.
- Join in the discussion: Follow this link to the Discussion section of DME for Peace where you can pose questions to the community, share insights, and discuss innovative tools and methods. Click here to learn more about how to engage with the EIAP