ABA Rule of Law Initiative International Development Internship Program
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is pleased to consider applications for its Summer 2017 International Development Internship Program. ABA ROLI serves as the international development wing of the American Bar Association, and seeks to promote justice, economic opportunity, and human dignity through the rule of law. ABA ROLI seeks interns and fellows to assist headquarters staff with a wide variety of the day-to-day support functions that are pertinent to the operations of an international NGO. International Development internships are available to undergraduate, graduate, and law students, as well as recent graduates, depending on current staffing needs. Dates and daily schedules may be flexible in response to departmental needs, and correspond roughly to academic terms for spring, summer, and fall semesters. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Terms of the Program:
Interns and fellows for ABA ROLI will work with staff of their assigned division to gain an understanding of international development programs and international rule of law issues. In general, ABA ROLI offers International Development and Legal internships/fellowships, which differ somewhat in their expected responsibilities and desired applicant profiles. International Development openings will support various aspects of program implementation for DC-based regional and support teams, while Legal openings will be more heavily research-based and tailored toward graduate and law students. If you are interested in applying for an ABA ROLI Legal internship/fellowship, please visit: https://www.devex.com/en/jobs/472234
Although these are unpaid positions, interns at ABA ROLI are eligible for a wide variety of perks and learning opportunities including:
- Transportation reimbursement up to $15.00/day
- Field trips to D.C. legal destinations such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Supreme Court and Library of Congress
- Brown-bag lunches with ABA ROLI staff and guest speakers
While the hiring needs of each individual opening may differ, ABA ROLI generally requires the following qualifications for all International Development Internships:
- Undergraduate, MA/JD students, or recent graduates seeking relevant degrees in international affairs, international development, or related subject areas;
- Strong commitment to public interest law and/or international development, as evidenced by relevant experience and coursework;
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Proficiency with MS Office;
- International development experience highly desirable but not required;
- Knowledge of foreign languages is a plus.
Please indicate your internship/fellowship preference in your cover letter. ABA ROLI welcomes “Generalist” internship applications.
International Development Internships:
- Asia Program Intern
- Conduct necessary research projects for program staff on rule of law issues in Asia and in support of Division-wide business development efforts; Monitor political, economic, and security developments in the region and produce regular status briefs; Assist with proposal research and writing efforts; Support management of current programs in ABA ROLI’s priority issue areas; Develop outreach and communication materials.
- Outreach and Communications Intern
- Research and monitor ongoing global trends to be integrated into appropriate ABA ROLI outreach and communications channels; Contribute to development of materials for and monitoring of ROLI websites, newsletters, collateral, social media outlets, etc.; Update ABA ROLI websites as needed; Support writing, editing, and publication of outreach materials.
- Latin America and the Caribbean Intern
- Assist the LAC Division with management of current programs and development of new programs in judicial reform, legal education reform, LGBT rights, among other things; assist with monitoring the political and economic developments in the region, producing outreach materials, researching areas of interest and working with program and in-country staff with day-to-day support tasks
- Operations and Development Intern
- Design and integrate innovative solutions to support knowledge management and organizational design, ensuring that ABA ROLI’s know-how, information, and collective experience are effectively shared across the organization; Help design, maintain, and share organizational know-how in online published formats including Google Drive, Google Docs, and process mapping; Collaborate with the ABA Development Director to help with donor mapping and research of US and non-US foundations as needed; Strategize creative outreach mechanisms for increasing awareness of ABA ROLI’s work.
- Europe and Eurasia Monitoring and Evaluation Intern
- Support program management and operations of ABA ROLI’s E&E Division, with particular focus on monitoring and evaluation systems; Contribute to ongoing efforts to establish, institutionalize and expand ABA ROLI M&E practices; Produce outreach materials to ensure reporting compliance with increased USAID requirements for outreach and promotion of programs; Provide support to report and proposal writing as needed, with potential for sustained research projects related to new business development.
- Health, Environment, and Anti-Corruption Intern
- Review ABA ROLI programming in these areas to date in order to identify institutional strengths; conduct research on key and emerging issues in these fields; and identify strategies to increase and showcase ABA ROLI’s capacity in these fields.